Sunday, February 22, 2009

What did you do this weekend?

I painted pictures of Moochie. Here is one of them (the other has been moved to IF: Instinct).

gouache and graphite on canvas board

The canvas board painting was an experiment, actually. I'd never painted on canvas board before, so I wasn't entirely sure how it would turn out. I think canvas board is mostly for thick paints, like oils and acrylics, but it took gouache and graphite like a champ. Canvas board is not ideal for thin paints, though, because the pattern of the canvas fabric shows through. In this case, however, I think it helps emphasize the cartoon-like quality of Moochie in the painting. It's nice when stuff works out.

The other painting was painted on my favorite type of paper: cold pressed watercolor board. It's a joy to paint on. Even the subject of the painting appears happy to have been painted on cold pressed watercolor board. Observe how pleased he looks: His calm countenance; the secretive smile. He's like the Mona Lisa, for Pete's sake!

It's time for a drink now.

1 comment:

  1. Here’s looking at you kid. Moochie is the way cuter than mona liza. That's official.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments. Feel free to leave one.